Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Two scoops of serendipity, please

I spend the last six days on a road trip with my Grammy and two of my aunts. It was a blast, and I learned so much from all of them. We went to Charleston, SC to see my cousin get married. Unfortunately my camera died a few months back, but my aunt graciously let me borrow hers, and I plan on getting the pictures from her within a few weeks.

Along the way there were some unexpected discoveries. The breeze of serendipity whisked all around us.

1. I finished Meet Mr. Smith by Eric and Leslie Ludy. It starts out a bit quirky and slow, but it is absolutely revolutionary. If you want a book that challenges you to give your heart completely to Christ, especially in the area of romance and sexuality, please read this book! It's so exciting! I've read a lot of "purity type" books, but none like this. Here's an excerpt:

"Purity's work causes us to approach every decision, every choice with a new question burning in our hearts. Instead of, 'What is best for me?' we ask, 'What is best for the fame and renown of God?' Once you start asking that question, your life will never be the same again. In fact, many of the seemingly confusing relationship questions that plague our generation can be answered by asking that one simple question" (214).

2. We visited Berea, Kentucky, a darling college town with multiple artisan shops. The students of the college are from Appalachia, and they sell BEAUTIFUL artwork to help pay for their education. I found a pillow I loved, but it was $179.95. Oh well.

3. I was able to visit with two of my very best friends. They live around one of the towns we stayed in, and so they were able to come steal me away. YAY!

4. I read through Making the Cut by Jillian Michaels. Although I do not endorse her attire on the front cover, I am excited about starting the 30 day program. Cheer me on, okay?

5. My aunts reminded me how MUCH I have to look forward to in life. Somehow I'd forgotten a bit. But the trip helped me to recharge, and I am ready to push!

6. We spent an afternoon in downtown Charleston. I've been there before, but was thrilled to go again. It's a must-see city of America. Totally. While we were there, I really needed to "use the facilities," and I do mean really. I dismissed myself from our group and began walking and thinking, "Surely it won't be too hard to find a place near the battery--it's so touristy."
WRONG-O, little AA.
Just so you know, it's residential for blocks and blocks and blocks. After a half an hour, I became desperate.
  • The kind of desperate that causes your to knock on rich people's doors and offer them a dollar to use their bathroom.
  • The kind of desperate that causes you to look for giant trees and bushes and calculate how quickly you could do your business without anyone coming by.
  • The kind of desperate that causes you to ask five Hispanic men working on a ritzy home if you can use their portapot. Yup. I went with this one.

And then I RAN in street clothes back to find my aunts (they were waiting on me in the hot sun).

Life is fun. Let it be.

The Lord blesses us so very much.

1 comment:

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Oi. Trauma. Bless your heart. But sounds like a fantastic trip. I'm just a teensy bit jealous!!