Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Earthquakes &Tsunamis of the Pacific

Today I was interviewed by a stateside newspaper about the earthquake in Japan and how it has touched Guam. Here was my response:

As far as the tsunami, Guam was barely touched physically. However it did create an emotional stir amongst the people. Many islanders are well acquainted with the devastation of tsunamis and earthquakes. There are many on the island who are either natives of Japan, or have family and friends there.  One way the earthquake in Japan may influence Guam is the economy. Japanese tourism is a major source of income on the island, so anything that strains Japan is likely to strain Guam.

The father of the family I live with performs weddings for the japanese tourists. They come to Guam to get an "American" wedding and honeymoon. With the upheaval right now, there is a big chance that tourism with slow down, and it could tamper with our financial stability, but of course we trust in the Lord.

Today at school I was helping a darling little Philippino boy memorize scripture verses. I was explaining to him how Jesus is the Light of the world, and he looked up, met my eyes with an intensity beyond what is commonly seen in one so small and said, "Are tsunamis bad, Ms. Audrey Ann? Should we be afraid of tsunamis? Are they really bad?" I went on to try and comfort him while being honest as well, sharing with him the hope of Jesus, no matter the circumstance.

As with all catastrophes and disasters, we are once again reminded that we have no control over the earth, but because of Jesus, we don't have to be afraid. Rather, we just need to be ready to trust Him and love others. The children I work with are afraid and bothered, but I pray that this will draw them and thousands of others closer to the precious Savior whose voice can calm the sea. Hallelujah.

6 comments:

Dad said...

Those are Good words-I hope they use them.
I'm struck by some statistics I heard yesterday; 70% of Japanese surveyed expressed *no* religious belief, while only 1% expressed faith in Christ. Their dispare and hopelessness must be great. May The Lord reveal Himself to the people of Japan-especially in the midst of this disaster.

Dad said...

Oops - that would be despair, but I'm sure you understood...

Lindsay Eryn said...

Great job, dear one! Your firm faith is inspiring, not just to me, but to those around you. It's so exciting to see God use you!

Anonymous said...

Interviewed by a newspaper?! Wow. Please know that I pray for you all daily. I know the devastation in Japen will affect Guam in one way or another. Keep strong in Him. Just know that there are lots of people lifting you and the school up in prayer. Loved the photo of you with the volleyball team. It is so awesome to look back at all your past activities, jobs, education, etc. and see how God is using those experiences now in order to serve Him. I love you!

Barb Sanders said...

Correction-Japan!!!

Emily S. said...

Precious friend! What a lovely reminder that He DOES calm the sea! :)May He provide you more opportunities to share His name in Guam. I love you, and I am praying for you!