Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Two Joes

     The past few days the story of Joseph has been playing over in my mind. Actually, both Josephs in the Bible and their stories have come to the front of my mind, dancing around and giving me hope that maybe I'm not so crazy.

     Of all the thousands of sermons I have heard in my life, the one that stands out the most is the one I heard at Port au Prince Fellowship about Joseph of the Old Testament. I learned that sometimes we try to kick open a door that God is closing, and sometimes we focus on David and Goliath, but forget about Stephen and the fact that God was with him, too. Isolated circumstances of our lives...of my life...don't seem to make sense sometimes, but I just need to remember that it probably didn't make sense to Joseph when his brothers threw him in a pit to die, or sold him, or when he was thrown in jail, only to be forgotten even after he correctly interpreted.

     And about the other Joseph...here is a man who trusted God despite what his culture told him, despite the societal dishonor with which it crowned him. He walked past all of it into the grand role of being the Savior's earthly father.

     Sometimes I just do. not. get. it. Sometimes things don't "make sense."
But HE alone is God, and I am not.
I rest and walk and run in full confidence that His plan is perfect and far better than mine.

     Please continue to pray for everyone in Haiti...and if you could remember my hip in prayer, I would appreciate it.

No comments: